Friday, May 7, 2010

Who likes flaxseeds?

So I decided to spend my Friday night making homemade protein bars....I know you're jealous. Tonight's recipe called for flaxseed meal. I've had flaxseeds in my fridge for weeks but finally had a recipe that forced me to use them. This made me wonder....what are flaxseeds and why are they so good for me?

Flaxseeds are a little bigger than sesame seeds and they have a hard shell that is usually a golden brown. The flavor is quite interesting...they taste a little nutty. Unground flaxseeds have a slight crunch to them but to absorb the nutrients you actually have to turn them into a flaxseed meal. I stuck my flaxseeds into the coffee grinder so I could add them to my recipe. Flaxseeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and are high in fiber. You can add them to cereal, baked, goods, breakfast shakes, or even on vegetables. I'll let you know how the protein bars turn out :-) And don't be afraid to give flaxseeds a try!

2 comments:

  1. Are ground flaxseeds just as good? I've been using them in these muffins I've been making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes M'am....that's the best way to eat them :-)

    ReplyDelete